• Course Websites
• All Things Religion
• Religion Web Resources
• Religion Links
• Academic Research Resources
• Library Research Resources
• Radio & Videos
• Introducing Asian American Theologies
• Christian Mission among the Peoples of Asia
• World Christianity: Perspectives and Insights
• Theological Reflections HK Umbrella Movement
• Original Compositions/Arrangements
• Video Recordings
• Church Music
• Cantus Mundi
Organist & Director of Music, The Church of Our Saviour, Mount Auburn, Cincinnati, OH 45219
- Jonathan Tan learned to play the piano at the age of six and attained a Grade 8 in Pianoforte Performance and Theory of Music from the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music. He subsequently studied classical organ performance and improvisation under Robert Navaratnam, Organist of the Cathedral of the Good Shepherd in Singapore.
- Jonathan has more than three decades of experience as church organist in Roman Catholic, Episcopal/Anglican, Presbyterian, United Methodist, UCC, and Lutheran liturgies ranging from large cathedral and churches to small chapel settings.
- Jonathan also holds a MA in Liturgical Studies from the Graduate Theological Union/Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley (1998) and a Ph.D. in Religious Studies from The Catholic University of America (2002).
- In addition to his appointment as Archbishop Paul J. Hallinan Professor of Catholic Studies at Case Western Reserve University, Jonathan is available as a supply organist and church musician in the Greater Cincinnati and Cleveland region.
Organist Positions Held
- Supply Organist/Church Musician (Partial Listing):
- Anglican: St. Luke's Anglican Church (Enmore, Sydney, Australia)
- Episcopal: St. Thomas Episcopal (Forest Park, Cincinnati, OH)
- Presbyterian: Westwood First Presbyterian, Pleasant Ridge Presbyterian, Kennedy Heights Presbyterian, Greenhills Community (Presbyterian)
- United Church of Christ: First UCC (College Hill, Cincinnati, OH)
- United Methodist: Anderson Hills UMC (Anderson, Cincinnati, OH)
- Australian Catholic University. Strathfield (NSW, Australia) Campus Organist (2011-2014)
- Mary MacKillop Chapel, Convent of St. Joseph (North Sydney, NSW, Australia). Organist (2012-2014)
- Grace Episcopal Church (College Hill, Cincinnati, OH). Organist/Music Director (2010-2011, 2015-2016)
- Salem Presbyterian Church (Cincinnati, OH). Organist & Music Director (2008)
- Saint Gabriel Church (26 Grant Circle NW, Washington, DC). Organist (1998- 2000)
- Saint Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church (2925 Bonifacio St, Concord, CA). Organist (1997-1998), Interim Music Director (1998)
- Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley, CA. Pianist/Organist (1996-1998).
- Cathedral of the Good Shepherd (Singapore). Assistant Organist (1988-1996)
- Click here for information about the two pipe organs of the Cathedral of the Good Shepherd.
- Deutschsprachige Katholische Gemeinde (Singapore). Organist (1990-1996)
- Deutschsprachige Evangelische Gemeinde (Singapore). Associate Organist (1993-1996)
- Saint Ignatius Church (Singapore). Associate Organist (1992-1995)
- The Orchard Road Presbyterian Church (Singapore). Associate Organist (1992-1995)
- Church of the Holy Cross (Singapore). Associate Organist (1988-1992)
- Church of the Holy Family (Singapore). Associate Organist (1986-1987)
- American Guide of Organists (AGO) — Cincinnati Chapter
- National Association of Pastoral Musicians (NPM)
- Praise God in Music: A Festival of Hymns and Organ Recital. Joint organ recital by Evelyn Lim and Jonathan Tan. Tuesday, 18 June 1996 at Wesley Methodist Church, Singapore. List of pieces performed by Jonathan:
A brief note on this recital is found in The Diapason, November 1996, p. 3.
- Toccata from Toccata & Fugue in C Major, BWV 564 (Johann Sebastian Bach, 1685-1750)
- Master Tallis' Testament, from Six Pieces for Organ (Herbert Howells, 1892-1983)
- Psalm Preludes Nos. 1 & 2, from Set One (Herbert Howells, 1892-1983)
- Congregational Hymn: All People That On Earth do Dwell, sung to The Old Hundredth Psalm Tune (Sir Ralph Vaughan Williams, 1872-1958)
- Seminar on Service Playing and Organ Technique. Jointly Jointly taught by Evelyn Lim and Jonathan Tan, with a guest presentation by Robert Navaratnam, Organist of the Good Shepherd Cathedral, Singapore. Wesley Methodist Church, Singapore, 17-24 June 1996.
Revision 10.003. Originally created: 29 March 2005. Last updated: 31 March 2016.